Other News From 1953
- Ian Murray dies during the polio epidemic.
- Odin Hougen takes over Marsh Lake Lodge from Mike Nolan.
- Vancouver Trucking Company sends the first truck over Hart and Alaska Highway. The trip takes ten days.
- Wing Commander Chuck Olson is commander of the R.C.A.F.
- Princess Elizabeth is crowned Queen and Yukon celebrates.
- White Pass and Yukon Route evict some squatters from Moccasin Flats.
- Harold Hine joins the law firm of Van Roggen and Nielsen.
- The contract for a pipeline from Haines to Fairbanks, Alaska is awarded.
- Watson Lake Motors opens as a four-bay garage to service private vehicles on the Alaska Highway. The “Motors” offered towing, mechanical, welding and body repair services. The gas pumps were added in 1955.
- The newly formed Klondike Tourist Bureau took over maintenance of Robert Service's cabin from the International Order of Daughters of the Empire (IODE), whose members served tea at the site and entertained tourists.