Other News From 1987
- Marg and Rolf vacation in Hawaii, Big Island and Maui January 22 – February 13.
- March 29 – Marg and Rolf visit San Francisco, Sonoma and the Napa Valley
- Kelly Hougen and Heather Chambers are married on April 25. They honeymoon on a Caribbean cruise.
- May 5 – 25 – Rolf and Marg travel to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Yangtze River cruise and Guangzhou (Canton)
- Rick Nielsen and Maureen are married on June 14. They honeymoon in Portugal.
- Rolf and Marg Hougen attend a Board of Directors meeting in Yellowknife June 26 – 29.
- NorthwesTel board meeting in Dawson City June 30 – July 2.
- Rene Delille, Consul General of France presents France’s Order of Merit to Father Mouchet.
- Ambassador Philippe Husson of France visits the Yukon and the French owned Mount Skukum Gold Mine near Annie Lake.
- Marg and Rolf Hougen are guests at the Calgary based “Spruce Meadows” Masters Show Jumping Competition – September 11 – 13
- Annual meeting of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Ottawa September 26 – 28. Lloyd McGinnis, Chairman, Rolf Hougen elected 2nd Vice Chairman.
- Marg and Rolf attended a Duke of Edinburgh dinner in Vancouver with Prince Philip present.
- Rolf Hougen spoke to the Yukon Chamber’s annual meeting in Dawson City, outlining a plan to “save” the White Pass Railway. He put together a board of directors that included Bill Sheffield, former Alaska Governor, Kirk Landerman, President Holland America, Frank Turpin, President Alaska Railroad, John Bruk, Chairman Asia Pacific Foundation, Roy Minter, former V.P. White Pass, Bob Wyman, Chairman Pemberton Securities (financial advisor to the group), David Joe, lawyer, Ray Pederson, President Princess Tours, Bill Feerd, Mayor of Skagway, Joe Becker, Atlas Travel. Negotiations with the owners of White Pass commenced.
- Rolf and Marg attended a meeting of the Asia Pacific Foundation in Quebec City October 21 – 22.
- Rolf Hougen was installed as an Officer of the Order of Canada by Governor General Jeanne Sauve in the Senate Chambers in Ottawa. Later Ambassador Jan Bremen hosted a dinner for Marg and Rolf and attended by friends, Brig. Herb Love and Anna, Ted and Nicky Harrison who was awarded the Order on the same day, Kay and Maurice Haycock, Guy and Shirley Marcoux, Bob and Joyce Choate, Erik and Shelley Nielsen, Maj/Gen Gerry Meuser and Betty. October 28, 1987.
- Marg and Rolf attended the Vancouver Consular ball with their guests Dr. Gorden and Doris Harris, Vin and Lata Sood, Bob and Dorothy Wyman.
- Hougen’s hosted the Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce “Business After Hours” serving French cheese and Beaujolais Nouveau. Thierry Rosset, French Trade Commissioner in attendance. December 7.
- Rolf Hougen, a director, attended two days of Asia Pacific Foundation meetings in Vancouver.