Yukon Nuggets


The Whitehorse Star Reports in 1948

January 9, 1948 The Kiwanis Club installs new officers. They are: President, W. Hamilton: Jim Gentleman, Vice-President: Charlie Taylor, Secretary-Treasurer.
January 16, 1948 The Whitehorse Branch of the Canadian Legion elects new officers.  Honorary President, Lt. Col. J.R.B. Jones: President, W.M. Emery:  First Vice-President, R.G. Mellway: Second Vice-President, George Maddocks.
January 30, 1948 The oil pipeline from Skagway to Whitehorse, constructed by U.S. Army during the war, and unused since the middle of July 1946, is re-opened by the White Pass & Yukon Route on lease from the U.S. Government.
February 4, 1948 A petition seeking incorporation of Whitehorse has been prepared by the Corporation Committee of the Board of Trade.
February 21-22, 1948 Days of ‘98 are revived with “wide-open roulette, craps, ace away, crown and anchor, bingo and a complete midway” at the DOT hanger at the airbase.  $100 in stage money is sold for $1.00 in “real money.”  The beard judging contest is held Friday, February 21 and the Queen contest finalists are announced Saturday, February 22.  There are prizes for the best Days of ‘98 costume for both men and women.
February 26- 29, 1948 The annual Winter Carnival begins with a fashion show in the Army Theatre on Main Street.  The International Dog Derby featuring ten teams, three of which come from Alaska, begins on the river in front of the White Pass depot.  On the weekend, there are children’s dog races, a ski meet at the Ski Bowl across the river, and hockey at the RCAF Arena.  Days of ‘98 continue at the DOT hanger.  The RCAF provides bus service from downtown Whitehorse to the Arena.  A ride costs 15 cents.
March 5, 1948 It is announced that White Pass & Yukon Route have donated a site between Third and Fourth Avenues for use as a civic centre.
March 26, 1948 The Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks (BPOE) is officially organized in Whitehorse.  Officers are: Exalted Ruler, E.F. Pinchin: Leading Knight, W. Stoddard: Loyal Knight, J. Fox: Lecturing Knight, J. Moran:  Secretary, W. Williamson: Treasurer, Dick Carswell: Inner Guard, Jack Earle: Tyler. Phil Delaney:  Esquire, Ray Read: Chaplain, Stan Dunbrack, Historian, H.E. Moore: Organist, E. Veale.
April 1948 The expansion of the Whitehorse Inn is complete and the ballroom is officially opened.  Saturday night supper dances are a popular item.
April 9, 1948 It is reported that Klondike Kate is to be remarried to W. I. Van Duren, an accountant from Bend, Oregon, whom she has known for the past 18 years.
April 16, 1948 An Alaska-Yukon travel club is inaugurated in Juneau. Its purpose is to publicise the north and improve travel service within the region.
April 23, 1948 Fire destroys Jacquot’s store and beer parlor at Kluane.
May 1948 Northern Commercial Company opens its new Ford facility at Third and Main.
May 14, 1948 New officers are elected at annual meeting of Board of Trade. President, J. Aubrey Simmons; Vice President, Jim Norrington; Secretary, R.J. Rowan; Trustees: Bill Drury Jr., E.C. Kerry, John McIssac, J.J. Elliot, W.W. Doherty, R.G. Lee, Leo Proctor and Rolf Hougen.
May 14, 1948 The timing clock failed in Dawson's ice pool for the second successive year.
May 21, 1948 Sid Poulton establishes his office on the vacant lot adjoining the Whitehorse Star office.  New and larger windows have been installed in the Fashion Shoppe premises on Main Street.  On the south side of Main Street, on Third Avenue, Pete Petiot is building new premises that will be occupied by the Vet's Barber Shop and Laura's Beauty Salon.  On Front Street, extensive alterations have been made to Besner Shoe and Shoe Repair Shop.
June 4, 1948 Inspector H.H. Cronkhite leaves Whitehorse at the end of June as he is transferred to Ottawa.
June 4, 1948 On May 26, 1948 K.B. Hannan is appointed General Manager of the White Pass & Yukon Route.
June 11, 1948 For the first time in Canada, a helicopter is used for topographical and geological survey work. The survey is done in the Yukon.
June 25, 1948 A fire destroys Graham's Garage at the old Elliot premises near the railroad track.  Damage was estimated at $30,000.
July 2, 1948 The President of Canadian Pacific Airlines Ltd. announces the inauguration of nonstop “Sleeperette” service from Whitehorse to Vancouver with a flying time of six hours.  This is the first of its kind in Canada.
July 13, 1948 Jack E. Gibben is appointed Commissioner of the Yukon.
July 16, 1948 The American Automobile Association publishes a detailed report on the condition of the Alaska Highway. The width and generally good conditions are emphasized.
July 23, 1948 The Whitehorse oil refinery has been removed from Whitehorse and is now in production at Edmonton. Official opening is July 17, 1948.
August 13, 1948 The world famous magician Mitchell Cain appeared at the Capitol Theatre in Whitehorse.
August 13, 1948 Sourdoughs who took part in the '98 gold stampede into the Klondike meet in Vancouver to celebrate the 50th anniversary of that historic event. Robert Service is among the participants.
August 17, 1948 Imperial Oil opened its refinery at Clover Bar, near Edmonton. The refinery had been shipped to Alberta from Whitehorse.
August 20, 1948 The Dawson News reaches the half century mark.  The first issue came off the press on July 31, 1899.
October 15, 1948 Residents in the Yukon were pleased to learn that a regular mail service is now in operation on the Alaska Highway.  This means that they will receive mail every five days instead of every fortnight as before.
October 15, 1948 The Honnourable Captain George Black P.C., M.P. is retiring from political life.  Captain Black had represented the Yukon in parliament for twenty-two years.
October 15, 1948 John R. Fraser, Dawson City Councillor, dies at the age of 80 (estimated) in Dawson.
October 21, 1948 The last river boats of the season, the SS Keno and the SS Nisutlin, finish their runs and are placed in winter quarters.
October 22, 1948 Mr. W.A. Wardrop is appointed Territorial Treasurer at Dawson City.
October 22, 1948 Chapman's Shoe Store opens their doors in Whitehorse.  The shoe store is located on Main Street, west of Fourth Avenue.
October 22, 1948 Works start on the hydro-electric plant for Whitehorse.
November 5, 1948 The Marbeck Flower and Gift Shop opens its doors in Whitehorse.  The shop includes a complete florist service, gift shop and lending library.  It is located across from the Whitehorse Inn on Main Street.
November 12, 1948 After years of operation, Diana May Candy Store moved to larger premises.  It was the first candy factory in the Yukon or the N.W.T. and the only one north of Edmonton.
November 19, 1948 The Pacific Northwest Trade Association urges a railroad linking the United States and Alaska, through British Columbia and the Yukon.
November 26, 1948 Work was started on fifty new Air Force homes to be completed next summer.  The new subdivision is located across the Alaska Highway, adjacent to the airport.
December 10, 1948 New Benevolent Protective Order of Elks officers are installed.  Exalted Ruler, D.W.K. Stoddart; Leading Knight, J.H. Fox; Loyal Knight, H. Damon; Lecturing Knight, W. Miller; Secretary, W. Williamson; Treasurer, Dick Carswell; Inner Guard, Frank Mikush; Tyler, C.A. Chapman.
December 17, 1948 R.E. Garrow was elected president of the Yukon Fish and Game Association at their annual meeting.  Vice President is George Aylwin. Charles Rosenberg is Secretary and J.B. Watson is the Treasurer.

Related Stories


Klondike Kate