1946 Historical Photos
Canadian Army Takes Control of the Alaska Highway.
In 1946, the Canadian Army assumed control of the Alaska Highway. They built Camp Takhini, took over the Standard Oil Refinery homes called Cemestos and built Permanent Married Quarters (PMQs). The army, with headquarters in Camp Takhini, remained in Whitehorse until the federal Department of Public Works took over the maintenance of the Alaska Highway in 1964.