1948 Historical Photos
Northern Commercial Company
Main Street, Whitehorse. To the left is Northern Commercial Co. Ltd. Ford-Monarch Dealership, located on 3rd and Main. With its head office in Seattle, Northern Commercial can trace its heritage back to when the Russians owned Alaska before 1867. Northern Commercial was the largest retailer in Alaska and had stores in Dawson City, Mayo & Whitehorse. They owned the Yukon Ford and Caterpillar dealership. Note the gas pumps on the sidewalk. Also shown in the photo are Arens Menswear, Burnie's Ladies Apparel, Wise Insurance, Norm Chamberlist's Electrical Shop, Sunny's Delicatessen and the Bank of Commerce.