1949 Historical Photos
The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals
In 1923, the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals provided communications for most areas of the North. In the Yukon, lines were strung as far north as Dawson City, on poles and lines originating in Hazelton, B.C. This service ceased in 1959.
Shown at right is Sgt. (later Captain) Bruce Cameron who served in Whitehorse from 1946 to 1950. He is operating a teletype but Morse code (dit dat) was still in use.