1944 Hougen's history
First Hougen’s Store
The first Hougen's store was an agency selling Rawleigh products and Fuller brushes. It was located on the corner of 2nd Avenue and Wood Street where the Justice Building is today. After several years of sailing around the world in square-rigger sailing ships, Berent Hougen walked and rafted to Dawson City, Yukon. After three years in Dawson City, he migrated to the gold fields at Cripple Creek and Ophir in Alaska. He returned to Norway in 1913 where he met and married Margrethe. In 1914, Berent and Margrethe Hougen immigrated to Canada.